photo saturday: faces faces faces

vampy boy, speedy monk, bakery girl, dangerous lady, angry demon, happy clericnimble thief, motherly dwarf, magic man, erotic adventurer, pink geisha, wolf boy

I will freely admit, that I'm going the low effort approach today as a) I'm exhausted and b) everything else wasn't low effort.

So instead, in the general theme of "not really a Hero Forge advert, but feels like one"... my favourite character making website just added the ability to put makeup and non-3d beards on characters. And I may have gone a little nuts yesterday.

We have played characters, unplayed characters, other people's characters, NPCs and other background characters and just for fun characters. In no specific order. And some of whom have shown up in different variations previously.

I will say that now that I have the option to put some black eyeliner on a character, I will need to come up with reasons NOT to, rather than reasons to add it. Plus a nice smoky eye.

Moving along...

This week has been... Second Hand Stressful.

So, after all the Get Ma on the Internet palaver of last Saturday, it turns out that the modem she has is... for no well explained reason that I can understand, but I'm dealing with second hand information and basically have to go off what she tells me... a "Telstra only" modem. I mean, fuck that noise both specifically and in general. Which means when the ISP tried to complete the transfer to them, they couldn't go the last step.

Which, in turn, stressed her out because they've already fucked her around extensively after she moved (Telstra that is), and she's done with their shit. But basically she contacted the ISP, explained things, and ordered a modem from them. It then took the rest of the week to get to her (she says that they suggested it would be there earlier... I think either the phone monkey was making wild assumptions or Ma misheard... both are eagerly likely).

And that meant that when it finally arrived at lunch time on Friday, everything I'd said to her last Saturday went completely out of her head which led to some slightly stressful phone conversations... and me thinking that perhaps I would need to head down to her place on Monday, which would have been fine, but then meant I had to do a lot of help desk sans full access to the internet.

Thankfully it mostly could all be rolled over to be "someone else's problem", in that it was more "call a people, make a people do a thing" for Ma.

So between that, keeping track of the package tracking for Ma just because it was one less thing to a) talk her through doing and b) something I could do and thinking that there was potential help desk on the horizon made the whole week a little stressy.

Add to that...

Water leaking from the cornice in the place it leaked not long after I moved in. And a forecast for rain all week, up to an including heavy showers, potential hail and strong winds on Friday.

That led to reporting it to the land agent, who then reported it to the Strata, who then contacted a plumber, who then called me on Friday when it was hammering with rain... and will come and investigate next Thursday. Because, of course.

It also meant that every night I unplugged my whole TV rig from that corner, because there's a powerpoint about a foot away from where the water was leaking.

On the up side... because there is one. The water dripped on Sunday, and again on Tuesday (I think, all the days this week have kind of blurred into one giant BLAH)... and then didn't leak again the rest of the week... even through the heavy rain last night.

Not that I'm telling the land agent or the strata that... I will tell the plumber (also, why a fucking plumber... I need a roofer or otherwise an expert in roof things... not a plumber... it's not plumbing, it's just water... whatever) that it may be partly due to the gutter being blocked, partly due to wind or rain coming from another direction... but all of that is supposition... basically I want someone to come sort the shit out and declare it appropriately fixed.

Suffice to say that I spent the whole week with my fingers crossed that I wasn't going to wake up or come home to discover an indoor vertical river between a powerpoint and a very large bookcase.

Hence, the general miasma of stress that permeated my whole week.

Soup this week was my version of the Dwarven Potato and Leek from a couple of weeks ago... maybe not the very, very best version of that soup I've ever made, but very good.

Thursday night's DnD was... a fitting finale to last week and my turn at DMing. And weirdly, I'd decided to build in a few story beats that ended up being very fitting for multiple characters without speaking to those players beforehand.

So, good job me I guess. It will be slightly weird to go back to playing next week, but also a lot less involved, so that's great.

Friday night's DnD was... unique. And I say that mostly because never before have I played DnD in the middle of a blackout by candlelight. Thankfully Mr and Mrs have ALL the candles, so when the power went out part way through the game, we took a time out, added a more than lots number of candles to the table and carried on with the game.

Yes, it was occasionally more difficult than necessary to read my dice, my character sheet and my spell descriptions. But it was also really cool. And appropriate since we're playing in a world that's always dark.

We met silly kobolds, I got a very pretty ring, we picked up a, frankly, stupid but still catchy party nickname and ended the adventure on the doorstep on my character's home and her seeing her "graph paper husband and son"... so that'll be an interesting session next week. Especially as DM Fluffy needs to play said husband and son. And I have very high expectations for this particular interaction, since said family has been living in my head for a while now.

I mean, it'll be fine either way... but... you know.

I will say that the drive to take Fluffy home has less fun than usual due to ALL THE RAIN, windy roads and car windows fogging up... blah. I mean, we survived, it was just, once again, stressful.

Sidebar... Tomorrow is my blog's 16th bloggiversary... Sweet Sixteen and all that. Wooo... I guess... even if it's mostly part diary, part me screaming into the void these days. Especially these days.

Moving on...

Today was... exhausting.

We did the supermarket thing... I'm going with the Halfling Tomato Soup again this week... because, honestly, I just need comfort soup... and tomato soup plus halfling soup equals comfort soup.

I also finally got the last of the ingredients for one of the other DnD recipes that I've been slowly collating for... about three weeks. Every time I think I've gotten everything I check the recipe again and realise I was mistaken. I mean, it would have helped if I'd written down the things I'd needed at any point. But no.

Then we came back here... and The Internet Simplified For Parent 2.0 class commenced. And it's not like we went through THAT many things... and she got most of it... and she'll be fine, but it'll just take a little while until she gets used to new systems and things.

My brain stopped working at a certain point though honestly... fortunately Ma's brain had stopped working several minutes beforehand, so we called it quits about there.

Current mood:

No comments: