character saturday: ignavus leo rex

the cowardly lion - noble, defensive, shapeshifter

First up, before we start... can somebody shoot me? And then explain to me why my back likes to choose the weekend before I have a rental inspection to just stop functioning properly.

Well, fuck it... I'll do what I did the last time this happened and just do what I'm capable of doing and fuck 'em.

Back to this week's entry into the DnD Character Colouring Book... The Cowardly Lion. The one I think that I'm actually the most proud of, or at least the one that worked the most successfully. Partly because we now have an actual lionperson race, and Circle of the Moon has always made the most sense. With the caveat that this is a druid that mostly just turns into different kinds of cats. Which is that the lion in the background is all about... that's him in Wild Shape.

Anyway...

Soup this week was basically chicken noodle soup. I did learn a new thing before I made it, which is, instead of trying to shred a chicken breast with a couple of forks or with your fingers, you just hit it with like a meat tenderiser or, in my case, a rolling pin. And it just fucking falls apart. So I'll be doing that again.

Mini Media Reviews for this week...

Mirai. A movie by Mamoru Hosoda who also did Summer Wars, Wolf Children, Boy and Beast plus The Girl Who Leapt Through Time... all of which I very much enjoyed. This was... not those things. It was much smaller overall. The hardest time I had was that a lot of this movie is small children screaming and crying about things. Never a good time. The story was sweet but, yeah, a little tough at times.

GOAT. I'll be honest, I don't know what I was expecting, it's basically every single sports movie you've ever seen just with animals. This is 100% a movie that takes place in a knockoff version of Zootopia though. It's also incredibly African American coded... and again, I don't know what I was expecting, because it's about basketball. It was fun and beautiful, but I've also seen this movie about nine thousand other times.

The Sea is Watching. I wish I knew where I actually heard about this one. I mean it's Kurosawa's last writing credit, so maybe it's when I watched Ran, maybe it's from something I saw on YouTube, I have no idea. What it is is a surprisingly sweet little movie about a group of Japanese brothel workers and the men who visit them. I very much enjoyed it.

Bookish. The first thing I've said about this to everybody I've mentioned it to is that everybody's acting is at about a 937. Which isn't terrible. It just takes a little bit of getting used to. It's also a six episode TV show, but in reality it's 3 two hour long movies. And it's essentially cozy post war murder mysteries but with a modern lens. And I liked it quite a lot.

Friday Night DnD was... yet more fucking dungeon. And yes, I'm fully aware it's fully half of the game, but this is the most dungeony collection of dungeons to ever dungeon. And it's been feeling a little samey. We did, at least, get to level up during the session though. But at least we're in the first half of the final chapter.

Anyway...

Today was really just me trying to keep my sanity while doing the usual supermarket thing while having a very unhelpful back.

As such, and because we did the run around last week, we didn't do anything else.

No comments: