We can entirely blame the next four (maybe five) weeks on a stupid ad. Okay, that's not entirely fair, the ad was for... Raid: Shadow Legends... and their Oz themed expansion. And I really like their specific character designs, but it did trigger the thought "hmmm... what would they be in 2024 DnD and/or Hero Forge.
Weirdly, I did do this once before... or at last the character sheets for these characters, if not the images. And not a whole lot has changed, some details here and there.
We start this week's DnD Character Colouring Book with Beast Master Ranger, Dorothy Gale. Clearly, some time after her original adventures, but if she realised that life in Oz is vastly superior to her life back in the Kansas dustbowl. Interestingly I did go look up some of the original details for the characters, and the original Dorothy isn't given a surname until the third book, and her appearance is only really described as "round, rosy, sunburned face" and "big earnest sapphire blue eyes". So I played with some of the details.
Of course we needed some magic items... and I've always loved the energy bow... plus the Boots of Speed specifically reference "clicking the heels together" to activate them, so that was just a gimme.
Anyway...
I tried something different for soup this week... Cowboy Soup. I'm not gunna lie, it didn't come out quite like the photos with the recipe. It was probably a proportions thing, I did my usual thing and used the recipe mostly as a starting point. Honestly, I think I just didn't put enough tomato in. It's a solid idea though, and I will probably revisit the idea... maybe throwing in a taco seasoning mix or something instead of fumbling through without some of the things in the recipe. I dunno. And I feel like replacing the potato for rice might help a bit.
But definitely one I'm going to try again. The idea is solid.
The Mini Media Reviews for this week goeth thusly...
God's Own Country. Basically Brokeback Mountain for English rural farmers. With all the related heaviness and slight melancholy that implies, but not an identical storyline. Incredibly well acted though... with another appearance by our recent friend Josh O'Connor (he of Challengers and History of Sound).
Flux Gourmet. This is what happens when you only have one movie you want to watch and you pick something up off the shelf based entirely on an interesting cover. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's whatever this was. It wasn't bad, per say, it was just decidedly Not For Me. But I have seen both weirder and worse movies. On the plus side, Gwendoline Christie.
The Last Kingdom, Season 2. Just so we're clear, I'm absolutely doing all five seasons AND the movie that started this whole little exercise off. I'm thoroughly enjoying this show, even if I want to give many of the characters a good solid shake. Especially King Alfred.
Isekai Office Worker: The Other World's Books Depend on the Bean Counter. Yes, that is the whole title. I, sadly, only saw the first three episodes, because that was all that Crunchy Roll decided to put on YouTube... but I have plans about the rest of the series. This is much better than it perhaps as any right to be. It also gets a whole lot gayer than I was expecting it to do right from the jump in the second episode.
Friday Night DnD was yet more dungeon, yet more weirdness, and yet more that the weirdness of this adventure is in no way unsettling to me. Not least of all, as I've said, because I have a character who is completely unphased.
Anyway...
The usual supermarket wanderings. Followed by the Big W and Kmart loop, mostly to look at the Halloween trash. And also marvel at the fact that Big W at least is already putting their Christmas stuff up. But nothing exciting enough in either to compel me to make a purchase.

No comments:
Post a Comment