photo saturday: adventing part one

hero forge advent - week one

It may be a brief one this week...

First up, the Hero Forge Advent Calendar started this week. And like the last few years, I tend to make a mannequin in order to display all the items, just so I can see what's what and also play around with colouring them, without having to build a whole character around each one.

And I was planning on showing them off last year, but then the Jingle Bros happens... and took up basically the whole of the month (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3), so I'm doing it this year. With a possible exception for Christmas weekend.

I will say that my problem with the last couple of Advent Calendars is that they've been... oddly specific at times or less useful to me specifically. This year we kick off with the same problem. I get the addition of the dice, but I can't see myself really getting much use out of the cane.

I also don't know that Hero Forge necessarily understands how a cane works. Since they don't tend to have such a large handle, owing to the fact that you really need to have your hand over the centre of gravity of the cane.

Ask me how I know in a minute.

Anyway.

This week has been... problematic.

We start with the fact that I need to stop trying to make chilli. Because I never get it right. Or at least I haven't done so in quite a while. This week being no exception. There was too much of it, it wasn't great and I've had to eat it the whole week.

Next up is the fact that it seems like I'm allergic to the apartment. That sounds extreme. I think it's just hayfever really, really, really kicking my ass. But it's hayfever that is specifically related to the apartment. Because if I go elsewhere I'm fine. It's weird. So I've been sneezy and runny nosey for a lot of the week. Unless I go somewhere else.

Add in the fact that the Vroom Go Faster Car Race got moved to this week rather than late February, which is great, because then it doesn't go Vroom all over Fringe, but the stupid helicopter doing laps of the race did my head in on Wednesday. Currently the big planes are going Whuzz overhead. And by Whuzz I mean "the fuq, I'm deaf now", as one of them went zoomies literally over my apartment block. I will say, that was one thing I didn't miss when I lived at the Portrush Road apartment.

Then at a certain point this week I tweaked my back. Because it's December, and clearly that's what I do in December. It was mostly just "getting up out of bed is a problem" and I was dealing with it. Then I had the two DnD sessions at the end of the week, and, honestly, the combination of driving and sitting on hard wooden chairs really did a number on me.

Honestly, more so the Friday game. I was feeling much improved on Friday, even if I did go lie down at a certain point.

And yes, I should have called my chiro and tried to get an appointment on Friday, but as I said, I thought I was doing okay. I'm calling them on Monday morning.

Which is why I'm very much on board with how canes work, since, after I took some time earlier to lay down, realised that getting up is the issue, and so broke out the cane I haven't actually used since I originally did my back in back in 2012.

So fuck everything. Specifically my body and it's penchant for falling apart.

Having said all of that, I did take a trip to the Burnside Library at the start of the week, after I finished the two books I'd borrowed from the library down on the Parade (that's the size of a postage stamp). And picked up a book that I'm thoroughly enjoying. Which also makes me wish that I'd gotten on the Library train again back when I lived within walking distance of the Burnside Library.

Other things may have happened... but probably didn't.

I did also start the Q Workshop Dice Advent Calendar this week. What is very, very strange is that Fluffy and I have gotten the same design of dice all three days thus far, although for the first two days they were different colour variants. However, Mrs also bought herself a copy of the calendar after she bought ours and her dice are completely different. It's very weird.

We'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

Speaking of DnD...

Thursday's game was... a disaster... a dumpster fire... a fuckup of the highest order... problematic. We were two players down but decided to play anyway. This was, unsurprisingly, a mistake. I mean, not really, but we certainly made our lives difficult.

Let's just say that we started the adventure ready to see what adventures awaited us and ended the adventure wanted for murder and espionage. Yeah, it didn't go well.

And I will say that it was something of a record in that pretty much every single decision we made was the wrong one.

Friday night's game was, by comparison, much more successful. Well, except for the fact that the first door they encountered was magically locked and the sorcerer couldn't roll anything higher than a 3 on their Dispel Magic roll. So, they tried all manner of other options, I gave them a couple of hints, but they just weren't getting it. I think they spent at least... 10 real world minutes trying to get past it, and they just weren't getting anywhere.

They did, thanks to a lucky NPC roll, find the Magical McGuffin they've been looking for a while, which also meant that I could break out a prop I've had prepared since... shortly after I moved house I think. So that was fun.

Anyway...

Today was... urgh.

When I got up my back was worse than it had been at any point in the week. And I needed to carry heavy things and walk around the supermarket. And to make it worse, the fire alarm went off while we were at the register and we had to leave our stuff, go outside, wait for the fire department to turn up, find out it was a false alarm or some other thing that didn't involve an actual fire.

Yeah, totally what I didn't need this morning.

And there wasn't much point in going anywhere or doing anything. So we didn't.

It also means that there isn't going to be a "putting the Christmas Tree up at Ma's post this year". Because we're not. I mean, Ma might put up the top third of the tree, but we're not doing a whole thing. Which is actually fine by me, because I don't actually care if Ma is okay with it. But I'm also definitely NOT driving all the way down to her place and attempting to do any kind of tree business right now.

Current mood:

No comments: