character saturday: warforged woodsman

the tin woodsman - protector, tender, lover

And now we reach the final member of our Oz themed DnD Character Colouring Book quartet. The Tin Woodsman. Which is also, in my opinion, the least successful of the four.

The idea is incredibly solid. A warforged is already a tinman/robot man. I thought about a Fighter, but there's just something about the Tin Woodsman that just says Paladin to me. Vengeance tracks with both the subclass idea that it's "a solemn commitment to punish those who have committed grievously evil acts"... plus the slight in-joke that their first tenet is "show the wicked no mercy". But it also felt right with the idea of him lacking a heart originally.

This is the second version of the design though. I originally pushed it further than this, went more in a slightly left field direction, a little like the Scarecrow from last week. But he ended up just being a "dude in armor with a full helmet covering his face" and it didn't quite work. There's also the weirdness between him being a woodsman and not actually a solider, despite the fact that he's covered in armor basically.

Likewise his magic items weren't as interesting. The axe just does more damage and you get some temp HP, which is nice. The enspelled armor just means he gains an extra spell up to 6 times a day, which is nice. The spell is probably Pass Without Trace, since that helps with the "being made of metal and wearing armor" while stealthing of at all. But I also kind of like the idea of Lesser Restoration since it lets you remove the Blinded, Deafened, Paralyzed, or Poisoned conditions. 

Anyway...

We strayed over to the land of Tuna Morney again this week. And, yes, a proper morney in that I remembered to actually put cheese in it. I did add a bunch of rice to the mix though, so the thing kind of got very thick when it came to the reheating. I also made quite a lot of it (partially due to the rice).

This week's Mini Media Reviews goeth thusly...

Thoroughly Modern Millie. A two and a half hour long musical containing about 45 minutes of plot. Fifteen minutes of that happens in the first half hour, the other 30 doesn't happen until the end of the movie. I was mostly bored out of my mind. At best that should be about a 85 minute movie.

Fahrenheit 451. The 2018 remake, not the 1966 version. This was just bad. They really missed most of the point. They turned the main character into a social media star, they got rid of the wife. And the "love story" kinda ends up being between Michael B Jordan's Montag and Michael Shannon's Beatty. But it's really all subtext. Plus introducing the idea of e-books just kind of defeats the idea of the story in the first place. If you can basically pirate a book via an electronic copy, the idea of (spoilers for a 73 year old book and a 60 year old movie) having a single person memorise a book becomes very stupid.

The Last Kingdom - Season 3. God I love this show. I love Uhtred, son of Uhtred. Just a big world of yes.

Friday was Chiro Day... which also meant it was Wandering Around Looking At Things Day. Only that meant that I actually had things to look at. Specifically movies at the library, and then finding a new hair/beard trimmer (thank you Target).

Friday Night DnD was just slogging away at yet another dungeon. And we were all a little loopy by a certain point.

Anyway...

Not much very exciting to report from today... we did the usual Supermarketry. 

As we were on our way to the checkout, I switched direction because somebody else took the checkout I had been headed to... and this random older woman going the other way just said "That is the best packed trolley I've ever seen" to me as she walked past. Was it? Kinda. It was full and there were some boxes that made things look more organised than it was... but still... I know I got the skills... and it was nice to just have random validation from a stranger on a Saturday morning in the supermarket.

But that was it really. 

No comments: