friendly with bears

illustrations by e h shepardI've just started my semi-annual re-reading of A.A. Milne's classics Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner... I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that every adult should read Winnie-the-Pooh at least once when they are a grownup, and it's advice I've stuck to for the last fifteen years at least. And reading some of the Amazon reviews, it looks like I'm not the only one who thinks so.

When I first read the books I think my favourite character was Tigger, a little too loud, a lot too bouncy and very, very brash... later it was Eeyore, always wanting people to be interested, but always pushing them away at the same time with his grumpiness. But the last couple of times I've read them, I become more and more fond of Piglet... sweet, brave, long-suffering Piglet, who, so long as he has Pooh by his side, can accomplish anything.

I'm sure that says a whole lot about me, but let's not read into it too deeply... okay?

My favourite quote from Pooh is from the story "Tigger is Unbounced" in The House at Pooh Corner, and was also where Armistead Maupin got the inspiration for his sixth Tales of the City book...

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
"Pooh!" he whispered.
"Yes Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you."

The last word on why to read the Pooh books when you're a grownup I will leave to the beautiful Amazon review by Jay Rudin of Dallas, Texas:

illustrations by e h shepardI first read Pooh as a child, when my mornings were spent with the Spotted or Herbaceous Backson, and my afternoons were spent doing Nothing. It was a good book then, which I really enjoyed.

But I don't do Nothing any more. Well, not so much. They don't let you. Now my life is spent going around and around the thicket looking for the Woozle, or going bump, bump, bump down the stairs, thinking that there must be a better way, if only I could stop bumping long enough to think of it.

Now I need Pooh. I need to be reminded that spelling isn't everything - that there are some days when spelling TUESDAY simply doesn't count.

Pooh and Piglet are wondering where you've been. Eeyore told them that you're not coming back. "They've forgotten" said Eeyore. "Typical," said Eeyore. "How Like Them," he said.


But you can come back, you know. You can find a Thoughtful Spot, or join an Expotition for the North Pole, or even drop sticks off a bridge.


Because the Forest will always be there, and anyone who is Friendly with Bears can find it.


I could not agree more!

Current Mood: off to catch heffalumps...

No comments: